Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Shady Ebay

I don’t ebay, at least not under normal circumstances. But a few days ago I was looking around for an old old movie, and the only source was a VHS sold on ebay. At first glance it seemed that there were 21 copies available at $19.95 each. But when I returned to the site there was only one, with an auction that was going to end the following day, at a starting bid of $19.95. I tried to find the old link, the one with a conclusive price, but couldn’t find it, so I put in a $19.95 bid.

That evening I got an e-mail that someone had outbid me at $20.45.

I decided the best strategy would be to log on a few minutes before the close of bidding (2:00pm the following day), and put in my $20.95 bid and be done with it. But of course I forgot. Oh well…

And then, a few hours later, I got an e-mail from ebay. Congratulations! My $19.95 bid had been accepted. The video would be shipped the following day.

Clearly fraud… n’est pas?

2 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, I only buy on ebay, not sell (yet), but I have read that buyers drop out a LOT. I can never believe this, as of course they'll get a negative, but sometimes I wonder if sellers even give a neg, as they could get one back, or look too mean, so no one else will buy.
Anyway the evil ones here are the ones who bid and then become f***ing scaredy-cats and won't pay. The seller is allowed to then offer the item to the next highest bidder, you.

You can always ask the seller, but I'm sure that's what happened.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger cosmopolitan life said...

But then how is it that the first time I looked there were 21 copies?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home