Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Not When You Most Expect It

Without diminishing its impact, it’s safe to say that Hurricane Katrina turned out to be much more benign than predicted. Which seems to be the way life works. The things we fear most often turn out to be negligible. The truly important stuff often creeps up upon us unexpected. Like 9/11. Or like this years’ Asian tsunami.

I’m in an I-told-you-so frame of mind. When I first heard about Katrina I told my friend that I’m sure it won’t be nearly as bad as expected. And not surprisingly, I was right. None of this stuff ever is. It’s the stuff that you don’t expect that truly wipes you out.

And so of course, it’s just as you’re relaxing and wiping your forehead with relief in one of those run down old houses in the French Quarter that the roof comes tumbling down on your head. So beware!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home