Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscar for Best Foreign Film...

Here's the theory that I formulated this evening and then tried to prove. That the Oscar for best foreign film is highly indicative of the quality of the film. That films selected as best foreign film are truly worth watching, whereas, as we all know, films selected for best film often are not.

The idea started from the fact that The Lives of Others won this year, surpassing Pan's Labyrinth. Good choice. Then the other victor that I remember, going back to 2001 - No Man's Land won over Amelie. Both are good films, but No Man's Land was truly great. And then I remembered that The Garden of the Finzi Continis was a winner, and I thought my point was made.

Unfortunately, I felt a need to check my facts, and then found out that Tsotsi won last year. So much for this theory...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home