Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Flying the Crowded Skies

This Saturday night I sat at my computer to book my Sunday evening, one hour Southwest flight to Oakland. This constitutes significant pre-planning on my part – I normally make the reservation just before my flight.

Bad idea. My plan to fly at 8pm was impossible. All the flights from LAX leaving after 4pm were booked. Nothing available from Burbank airport either. United’s latest flight to San Francisco was at 3:45. American offered flights through its partner, Alaska Airlines, leaving at 4pm, arriving at 10pm, one stop in Portland…

I called Southwest and begged. The agent explained patiently that all flights were booked, and that I should try later or tomorrow morning. It was already past midnight, but just before I fell asleep I checked again. Now the latest available flight was at 2pm. 8am Sunday morning – the latest flight available was at 10am(!). I had visions of LA closing in on me. No way out, no flights available, planes circling with passengers hanging off their sides… On a whim I checked Burbank airport again. One space available, on their latest flight out, at 9:45pm. I grabbed it.

Arriving at the airport I heard the flight attendant call out for volunteers to be bumped off the 9:45 flight. It was overbooked. I felt gleeful. I had gotten on. The next flight available was not until 12:30 the following day…

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could this be the most boring post in all of blogdom? Where is the conflict, the crisis? Will the bus schedule be next?
Not saying you're boring. I only read you as a link from Luke Ford.
But this is tres the worst.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger cosmopolitan life said...

I think it's been outdone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home