Thursday, May 05, 2005

Eat More, Live Longer

People who are a little overweight live longer than those of normal weight. For reference, that means that for a woman like me (5’7”), the optimal weight for long life is between 165-185 pounds (!).

The study was published in the blue chip JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association). It made front page headlines in all the major newspapers only two weeks ago. How is it that most of my well-read friends haven’t heard about it? Why is it that today when I googled it, the top sites that came up were in New Zealand and in the U.K? Why did this story get so little play in the U.S. of A.?

After all the broohaha about SuperSize Me, why don't we have panel discussions about the important contribution McDonald's is making to the life expectancy of Americans?

I’m sure I can explain. It's because we dieting elites don't like to hear it. We want to have it all - slim figure, long life. But if asked to choose between the two... well... Do you think I'm going to eat that brownie because it will add ten minutes to my life? Maybe a whole cheesecake and I’ll add a full day…? I’m laughing already.

You’re getting my gist. This finding is unacceptable to me, and unacceptable to my friends. It has no effect on my long-standing and immutable resolution to lose 5 pounds. After I get that out of the way, I’ll consider alternative life-prolonging measures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home