Saturday, January 07, 2006

Brokeback Moutain

I almost didn't go see this movie after the tepid reports I seemed to get from everyone. Reports that epitomize my beloved phrase "damning with faint praise".

"It's slow" people would say, "but pretty good"... Not to mention some of my squeamish male friends who couldn't stand the thought of a movie about gay love.

Well, I'm pretty squeamish about gay love myself. I'm ok with it in principle, but those guys walking hand in hand down Santa Monica Blvd are still disconcerting to me.

But Brokeback Mountain didn't have that aspect to it. Maybe because the sex scenes were so discreet, and maybe because they looked more like the way a man (at least of the cowboy variety) would have sex with a woman if he weren't afraid of hurting her - something between kissing her and beating her up.

It was great. Very moving and emotionally authentic. The male-male relations, the male-female relations, the husband-wife relations, the son-parent relations - all spot on and very very good. I don't know why the reports I've heard haven't been more enthusiastic.

11 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an excellent movie very touching and realistic.  I had to sit for a few minutes at the end to come to terms with it. It should win the best picture, best actor of the year.
I'm a 64 year old woman and a mother of three children who has been married for many years.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful portrayal of the difficulty of two men to commun-icate their feelings or own up to them. Emotional damage done to our society leaves both mean and wo-men incapable of telling or knowing the truth of themselves. A most tender approach to the trag-edy of human communication. Thanks to Ang Lee and cast to have the courage to do this movie.

 
At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great movie. As a gay man, have a few problems with the way the sex was portrayed though. Jake wouldn't have been able to walk for a week!

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think both character are played very well in the movie. It has so much so many of us can relate to. I start doing search of everyone from the past - get in touch with my root.It should win whatever it is nominated for, and more.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought it had gay allover it the gay passion and the gay additude it was just to gay!

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you and to the person who said it was "too gay" --- duh! What did you expect?

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Brokeback to be a deeply moving story of unrequited love that still impacts me when I think of it now, weeks after seeing it. Love is such a powerful force it can propel you to your greatest heights; conversely, its absence, as in this case, can paralyze you and stunt all of your other relationships in life. Very powerful film.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think This movie was awesom, being the mothwer of a gay son,it was heartbreaking to know that feelings like this do indeed exist,that people judge everyone as queer not looking past that is that they are human beings with feelings. well done to the cast and the writter

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am bi and married twice. Many married guy affairs during. This could have been my life too, many times over but a Great movie. I left with tears in my eyes and wanting to hold my new guy in my life i love. My wife was with me and she left before the end, too close to home for her

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why i have been impacted so much after step out the theater's exit,feel emphasized on both actor. My tear burst down while ennis is helding jeck'jecket,be ready to go out with jeck,but it is impossible.I hope and wish they both will get an oskar award.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rarely cry at movies but this movie was heart wrenching. A beautiful masterpiece, and I think the people who don't even give it a chance just because of gay love are very closed minded. This was a wonderful film filled with beautiful messages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home